Bull Run

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Bull Run

Post by Lonestar »

I went to th 150th Anniversary reenactment of the 1st Battle of Bull Run Saturday. Since my computer is currently kaput I can't load my DSLR photos, but they'll be loaded soon enough.

Some shots taken with my phone:

So, there were 8000 reenactors there, with approximately a gazillion spectators. It was standing room only and my short ass had trouble. Watching the units manuever was impressive, all the more so when you consider that the real soldiers did so under less-than-ideal circumstances.

I was pretty impressed with the reenactors. Obviously they weren't professionals, but damned if they weren't enthusiastic in the 100+F temperatures with a heat index of around 110F.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: Bull Run

Post by Lonestar »

The crowds(along with the Rally we went to in October last year) basically convinced me I need a "swing screen" DSLR so I can lift it up and take better pictures.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Alerik the Fortunate
Jedi Knight

Post by Alerik the Fortunate »

Look at all the farbs! Just finished reading Confederates in the Attic for class. Previously I had no real understanding of the fascination for Civil War reenactments, and while it still has no appeal for me, I can see the interest others have in it. Good pictures though. I'm curious to see the rest.
Every day is victory.
No victory is forever.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Really have to hand it to that guy with the authentic War of Southern Aggression-era sideburns. That's real dedication to your art.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Zaune wrote:Really have to hand it to that guy with the authentic War of Southern Aggression-era sideburns. That's real dedication to your art.
Nice to see my title for the ACW is catching on. :twisted:

And nice pics Lonestar. :) Death to Rebels!
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED