Mythbuster Adam and ArcAttack do Dr.Who

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Mythbuster Adam and ArcAttack do Dr.Who

Post by LadyTevar »

Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Re: Mythbuster Adam and ArcAttack do Dr.Who

Post by Agent Fisher »

On so many levels, this is awesome.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

For anyone who hasn't seen the original:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/PdrqdW4Miao[/youtube]

They also have an awesome take on the Imperial March :D
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

That is so very cool.
How is it done?
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Let's see if I can remember how this is done without murdering it - according to the guys out of Fermi lab I talked to (who also do a show) Tesla coil output has a frequency associated with it. Modulating the frequency of the sparks produces a pitch. If you can do it precisely, you can get something like musical tones at standard musical pitch.

I saw something like this live at a DucKon. The guys there call it a "Zeusaphone", after the Greek God Zeus of course.

Oh, and in real life these things are loud. With the smell of fresh ozone. Lots of it.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

"Here, come, the DRUMS!!!"

Zeusaphone most awesome instrument ever!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

barnest2 wrote:That is so very cool.
How is it done?
It's basically a giant Plasma speaker. Since the current in the spark heats the air inside it, as you turn up the current, the air expands; turn it down, it cools and contracts. Modulate the current rapidly, and you can generate a tone; carefully controlled, you can actually get extremely clean sound out of one, although the ones in the Wiki article tend to roll off at low frequencies since their arcs just aren't that large.

Tesla coils are convenient for this type of thing because they're already pumped by AC, so you've got a ready-made sinusoidal current source. They also have the advantage that, since they're generally so large, they can do very low frequencies as well and also get loud without even trying. However, they usually draw power from the wall, so that 60 Hz + harmonics buzz comes in just about no matter what you do.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

That....is just awesome.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

A bit off topic, but watching this video made me wonder if you could modulate gravity waves (i'm not even going to pretend to know how), would it be possible to set up a system so that a spaceship hull can act as a speaker?
Needs moar dakka
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

A bit off topic, but watching this video made me wonder if you could modulate gravity waves (i'm not even going to pretend to know how), would it be possible to set up a system so that a spaceship hull can act as a speaker to those inside?

And could this setup be modified to work on planets? You could scare the crap out of some poor astronauts, with no readily apparent speaker... THIS IS THE VOICE OF GOD AND YOU WILL RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH! :mrgreen:

crap sorry for the double post been lagging
Needs moar dakka
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Please don't necro old topics with off topic replies.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan