The Coolest Looking Headphones

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

The Coolest Looking Headphones

Post by Ford Prefect »

This is a somewhat unusual question. I'm not actually interested in buying some cans, but I am interested in what people might call the most aesthetically pleasing headphones available. Personally I think AKG's K701 is a really sexy device, and I want to know if it's possible to be topped.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Re: The Coolest Looking Headphones

Post by YT300000 »

I love the look of Grado's, they are just the absolute height of class as far as headphones go.

Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

For me it's either the long discontinued Audio Technica W1000 or the Grado HP-2. I tend to lean towards the Grado for its ridiculously overbuilt all metal goodness.

Audio Technica W1000

Grado HP-2
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

YT300000 wrote:I love the look of Grado's, they are just the absolute height of class as far as headphones go.
You'll love this one then, all the flagship Grados together in one picture, plus the special edition HF-2 and PS-1.

Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Damn it, aerius! Now we have to put a NSFW tag on this thread. :lol:

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Look aerius, I have my SR-60 and I don't need to be tempted to go any higher than I need to!
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Those Grados look like shit to me. It's 2010, people.

But then people who think what headphones look like is important are all retards.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Stark wrote:But then people who think what headphones look like is important are all retards.
I don't know about you, but I ain't wearing Jecklin Floats no matter how good they sound.
I gotta draw the line somewhere.

Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Check out Skullcandy. They have the coolest looking headphones for comparable prices. I just have some general Panasonic ones that are gold. Not, like, literal gold, of course, that would be mad.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Stark wrote:Those Grados look like shit to me. It's 2010, people.

But then people who think what headphones look like is important are all retards.
Just because it's fashionable to look like colossal douche bags doesn't mean we should.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

You shouldn't choose a pair of cans based on what they look like, either. Seriously, woodgrain? :lol:

Morons wearing budget Sony cans on the bus != buy stupid 'art' headphones because they 'look cool'.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

How many of those are in my price range? I'm looking to spend no more than eighty-eight dollars.
XXXI
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Phantasee wrote:How many of those are in my price range? I'm looking to spend no more than eighty-eight dollars.
None of them. The SR-60i is the low end model at $79 American and it's pretty damn good compare to other brands. Though I would just get an SR-80i for $20 more since they include more comfortable ear cushions which cost $15 anyway. Mind you, they are open can so they are more useful in a quiet setting.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Phantasee wrote:How many of those are in my price range? I'm looking to spend no more than eighty-eight dollars.
If you have to ask, the answer is none. Seriously. The W1000 is in the $450 range and the Grados in the photo go from there and up. You're looking at well over $6000 worth of Grados in my photo, which belong to 3 or 4 different people, one of whom is a Grado dealer.

Get a Grado SR-60 and call it a day or blow your budget by $20 and get Music Series One
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I'm not entirely sure what relevance 'buying headphones based on looks is stupid' has, given that ... no one is looking for headphones to buy?
Soontir C'boath wrote:None of them.
aerius wrote:If you have to ask, the answer is none. Seriously.
He's not seriously asking that question.
What is Project Zohar?

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Stay out of this, OP. :P

I bet you can get 'cool looking' for less than absurdly stupid $450. But then I'm not an 'audiophile', which is French for 'sucker'.
Soontir C'boath

You could be right. He did just survive an accident in his truck. Or perhaps it set his mind straight. ;) :P
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Stark wrote:I bet you can get 'cool looking' for less than absurdly stupid $450. But then I'm not an 'audiophile', which is French for 'sucker'.
Then find me pictures of them Brisbane. Show me your taste in action!
What is Project Zohar?

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I rather like the look of my Sennheisers:

Then again, I was more concerned with how they sounded and that they didn't cost infinity billion dollars, plus my glasses show that I have no taste, so YMMV. :D
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

Get some fake ESW10s or ESW9s on ebay. I troll you not. They're obviously not as good as legitimate ones from ATH, but they're not $300+ either and they follow the original design closely enough that they sound very good for the price-- people have bought them without realizing they were getting fakes and not known there was anything wrong until they heard real ones, and even then didn't think too badly of the fakes' sound.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

How many times am I going to have to say 'I'm not buying any headphones' before people get that I'm not buying any fucking headphones? Jesus Christ. :)
What is Project Zohar?

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

The Stax Omega II electrostatic headphone is also pretty cool in its simplicity.

Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

Ford Prefect wrote:How many times am I going to have to say 'I'm not buying any headphones' before people get that I'm not buying any fucking headphones? Jesus Christ. :)
a couple dozen more at least

Audeze LCD-2

Sansui SS-100
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Ypoknons
Jedi Knight

Post by Ypoknons »

aerius, isn't that pic one of the W1000X, not the W1000? The wood tint is slightly different and W1000X is glossier. The W1000X was on my buylist until quite recently, I was a bit disappointed when I heard them at the Hong Kong high-end audio-visual show, it was just a bit too muddy, but that might just be the mystery equipment they were demo-ing it off or the songs.

I'm performance-first, but I don't mind paying extra for looks if the headphone is already a decent performer, especially for portables.