Teeny comic I made forever ago (THERE ARE IMAGES!)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Pick
Sith Marauder

Teeny comic I made forever ago (THERE ARE IMAGES!)

Post by Pick »

Last edited by Pick on 2009-11-01 02:24pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Re: Teeny comic I made forever ago (THERE ARE IMAGES!)

Post by Duckie »

I am a terrible person. I read this wonderful comic and the first thought I had was "I wonder what the difference between bohma and bohmu is. Case? Number?"
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Moral of the story: he should have joined a pride of lion equivalents or something.

Rescued from Testing.
Duckie wrote:I am a terrible person. I read this wonderful comic and the first thought I had was "I wonder what the difference between bohma and bohmu is. Case? Number?"
Not a terrible person, just a grotty linguist. I think it's pretty obvious bohmu is the plural of bohma, I didn't even have to think consciously about it.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

But then why 'and the bohmu were safe'? Is it a collective noun there?

Also, this is the saddest thing.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

fgalkin wrote:Rescued from Testing.
There you go, crushing the art Image.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

What happens in Testing stays in Testing.
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Duckie wrote:But then why 'and the bohmu were safe'? Is it a collective noun there?

Also, this is the saddest thing.
Replace "the bohmu" with "the cows"

Mystery solved!
There you go, crushing the art
I am mean. It is my nature. I was born with a heart full of communism. I am like the skoll there. He too, had a heart of communism, and look where it got him.

Poor skoll.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Moral of the story: you can't trust a herbivore?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

Ohhh, I see. I can't read, Fgalkin, you are right. I keep mentally misassociating -u with latin -um, and -a with latin -a (the plural of -um), even though they're the opposite of what the actual number is, so I kept instinctively associating bohmu for the singular. Man I suck.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

VF5SS wrote:What happens in Testing stays in Testing.
Evidently not *huff huff*.

And yes, the skoll is sad. And he dies.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Duckie wrote:Ohhh, I see. I can't read, Fgalkin, you are right. I keep mentally misassociating -u with latin -um, and -a with latin -a (the plural of -um), even though they're the opposite of what the actual number is, so I kept instinctively associating bohmu for the singular. Man I suck.
:wtf:

You have a text in English with a few count nouns from a made up-language that otherwise follow the rules of English grammar exactly. How in the Emperor's Name did you end up applying rules from a completely unrelated language based on visual similarity?

Do you also think your username is plural because an -ie ending is used in Russian to identify plural?

P.S. It's "fgalkin." Capitalization counts. :P

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Woah, woah, y'all. It's a comic posted on the internet. Taking it seriously is perhaps a mortal sin.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Pick wrote:Woah, woah, y'all. It's a comic posted on the internet. Taking it seriously is perhaps a mortal sin.
You get Hugos for that, now, you know.

Webcomics are serious business.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Yeah, but aren't Hugos basically paperweights minus the usefulness?
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

fgalkin wrote:
Duckie wrote:Ohhh, I see. I can't read, Fgalkin, you are right. I keep mentally misassociating -u with latin -um, and -a with latin -a (the plural of -um), even though they're the opposite of what the actual number is, so I kept instinctively associating bohmu for the singular. Man I suck.
:wtf:

You have a text in English with a few count nouns from a made up-language that otherwise follow the rules of English grammar exactly. How in the Emperor's Name did you end up applying rules from a completely unrelated language based on visual similarity?

Do you also think your username is plural because an -ie ending is used in Russian to identify plural?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Oil.

For the same reason why the word 'oil' just made you think of something viscous and immiscible with water- either crude hydrocarbons or olive oil, and not of the irish word for education.

When you speak a language and think in it, it colours your thinking. This is the same reason why an anglophone reading a german text can accidentally sporadically pronounce 'die' as as the english dice cube, or why english speakers will tend to interpret things that do not end in -s as singular and analogise based on that? (eg Spaghettis, even though Spaghetti itself is plural in italian)
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Duckie wrote:
Oil.

For the same reason why the word 'oil' just made you think of something viscous and immiscible with water- either crude hydrocarbons or olive oil, and not of the irish word for education.
Actually, I thought it was "oi!" until I read the paragraph. But, I see your point
When you speak a language and think in it, it colours your thinking. This is the same reason why an anglophone reading a german text can accidentally sporadically pronounce 'die' as as the english dice cube, or why english speakers will tend to interpret things that do not end in -s as singular and analogise based on that? (eg Spaghettis, even though Spaghetti itself is plural in italian)
Yes, but what does that have to do with linguists who are supposed not to fall victims to this sort of thing? :P

Also, a good solution to this sort of thing is to speak and think in several languages. Then, you don't do this as often, as your brain doesn't automatically assume it's in your first language.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven.
JADAFETWA
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

How about: the attempt to conform doesn't change you and ultimately you will be unveiled for who and what you are. And such conditions can be unpleasant.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Pick wrote:How about: the attempt to conform doesn't change you and ultimately you will be unveiled for who and what you are. And such conditions can be unpleasant.
As with any good literature, one can find multiple themes meshed together neatly under the surface.
JADAFETWA
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Well to be fair, it was originally posted in Testing because it's an old drawing about an ugly dog getting chomped to death by tiny, communal hippos. I wouldn't read too far into it :wink:.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Pick wrote:Well to be fair, it was originally posted in Testing because it's an old drawing about an ugly dog getting chomped to death by tiny, communal hippos. I wouldn't read too far into it :wink:.
Poor doggie. :cry: Nobody loves him, not even his creator.

EDIT: Except for that crazy dog lover Kuja.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The poor skoll. :cry:
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

On the one hand, that was terribly terribly sad... I feel so bad for the Skoll... On the other hand...
how do Communal hippos who eat grass able to ripp apart predator apart.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Post by Cosmic Average »

Hopefully, the bohmu species starved and died out when they ate all of the grass because there were no skoll to keep their numbers down.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Skoll solidarity!

They killed off the last of an endangered species. Brutes. Republicans.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!