Mystery plane #5

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Mystery plane #5

Post by Frank Hipper »

Here's one I'm clueless on. Looks like it belongs in a Mos Eisley scrapheap. Lots 'o luck.

Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Shaka[Zulu]
Jedi Knight

Post by Shaka[Zulu] »

definitely looks like a russian/soviet amphib of some type. since the end of ww2 western designers havent really been interested in amphibs or flying boats, and we likely wouldnt have come up with anything looking like that in any case...
panty-stealing military mecha maniac
Sr.mal
Jedi Knight

Post by Sr.mal »

My guess it is an early development of the Ekranoplan.
Ever since I was a scumdog, I blew a cum-wad.
I need a mother-fucking suckadickalickalong
A drunk, a pervert, a junkie and a sodimizer.
But you can call me the salaminizer
-The Salaminzer by GWAR
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Looks like an ekranoplan to me. I'd like to see one of these in flight tho...
Image Image
Shaka[Zulu]
Jedi Knight

Post by Shaka[Zulu] »

definitely could be an early CSM (caspian sea monster)... wonder if there is any online data on the early models...
Shaka[Zulu]
Jedi Knight

Post by Shaka[Zulu] »

yes it is definitely an ekronoplan... I dont know which though
Shaka[Zulu]
Jedi Knight

Post by Shaka[Zulu] »

it bears some small resemblance to the AeroRIK dingo... it might be a design that never really made it past the prototype stage.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Re: Mystery plane #5

Post by Rob Wilson »

Frank Hipper wrote:Here's one I'm clueless on. Looks like it belongs in a Mos Eisley scrapheap. Lots 'o luck.

It's a VVA-14 by Bartini Beriev. That photo was taken in Monino

http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/vva-14.html
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The Russians built alot of different WIG's, even one which would have hauled a half dozen Sunburns. But none of them ever quite worked, control problumes mostly.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

Sea Skimmer, that thing looks like the bastard child of a F-14, P-38J, B-17, and a Space Shuttle. :shock:
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

HighlighIts a Russian ground effect aircraft (Ekranoplane or something), although I don't recall the designation
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Howedar wrote:Highligh Its a Russian ground effect aircraft (Ekranoplane or something), although I don't recall the designation
I've already said it's a VVA-14, incase anyone still hasn't understood here's exactly the same plane from a different angle

http://www.infinity21.co.kr/non-it/wig_ ... g00166.jpg

You can access that picture and others of th aircraft by going here

http://www.infinity21.co.kr/non-it/wig_ ... t.html#A90

And choosing VVA-14 wreck at Monino. :roll:
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Cookies for Rob Wilson and Seaskimmer, and thanks to Seaskimmer for the drawing of the intact monster. I was half afraid it would turn out to be a helicopter, but I saw no rotor remains on top....On another note, I want to go to Monino so bad I can taste it.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Here's a better one, side and front view.

"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Shaka[Zulu]
Jedi Knight

Post by Shaka[Zulu] »

an impressive looking beastie to say the least... I wonder why it didnt work out -- control issues, politics... what?
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Every WIG aircraft ever has suffered from stability and flight control problems, luckily the low speeds and seaplane hulls allow for easy enough landing when the pilots start to lose control. A modern digital FBW system might be able to make all the needed corrections, but a lot of money will need to be thrown at the problem. Several countries have small-scale programs meant to create aircraft that do medium helicopter sized jobs. But only the US is really in a position to pursue a large cargo carrier. The Russians have been looking for investors for years.
Shaka[Zulu]
Jedi Knight

Post by Shaka[Zulu] »

hmmm... I wonder if a WIG craft of a freewing design might fare better with regard to control. They are incredibly tolerant of CG placement -- in comparison conventional 'fixed' wings are anything but tolerant -- and have simplified control mechanisms due to the fact that they are merely trimmed for a desired alpha (this trim can be adjusted independently for each wing) and dont have to worry about torque effects from a stab. what looks like a stab on the aft fuselage is actually a trim tab that controls fuselage alpha separately from the wings. It might be something interesting to try in a model.