Droid Test Animation

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Droid Test Animation

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

I've begun experimenting with character animation and this is my first faltering footstep into that particular black hole. I decided to start with something simple to model and 'bone' (fnarr fnarr) so I made a facsimile of a fairly well know robot. Enjoy...

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kenny7/Comp1_9.avi

It's about 600k in size, the latest DivX 5.03 codec
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

hehe, nice teletubbie :D

what program did you use?
looks like you dont have a bone system for the legs yet (a kingdom for character studio).
i´m also starting to mess with char animation at the moment, (or actually i´m still modelling the character, which i´m then going to animate) so hopefully i´ll be able to post an avi in a couple of weeks.

keep on maxing!
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Roli Poli Olie here does indeed have bones in his legs, it's just I didn't have the control nulls properly set up to allow me to make him walk. My next attempt is going to be with either a Stormtrooper or Clonetrooper as I've downloaded a couple of really nice meshes of those. Then it'd be worth building a complete skeleton, right down to fingers level.

This was all done in a couple of hours in Lightwave 7.5 last night. The models are accurate but simple and the animation didn't take long at all to setup and render. The real hard part in Lightwave is getting the hang of the huge and complex skeleton setup process. There's so many options and variables that it takes ages to get a setup that allows you to animate characters easily. I was told about a plugin called Auto-Character-Studio 4, which builds a skeleton and all appropriate controls automatically, but it's $90 so I'm going to try the demo version first before lashing out.
TrailerParkJawa
Sith Acolyte

Post by TrailerParkJawa »

I think it is a pretty good first start.
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Can someone post screenshots. I don't feel like downloading a divx player, and download clips take awhile on a shitty 26.4kB connection.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Re: Droid Test Animation

Post by Rob Wilson »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:I've begun experimenting with character animation and this is my first faltering footstep into that particular black hole. I decided to start with something simple to model and 'bone' (fnarr fnarr) so I made a facsimile of a fairly well know robot. Enjoy...

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/kenny7/Comp1_9.avi

It's about 600k in size, the latest DivX 5.03 codec
Very colourful. :D Are you going to do a walking or complex movement test (who else wants to see him hopscotch and bet on how long it takes his antenna to stop moving. :twisted: )?
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Rob Wilson
Sith Apprentice

Post by Rob Wilson »

Pu-239 wrote:Can someone post screenshots. I don't feel like downloading a divx player, and download clips take awhile on a shitty 26.4kB connection.
Um, but static screenhots won't show it moving... which is the whole point of the post. :?
"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with, until you understand whose in f***ing command here!" Jayne : Firefly
"The officers can stay in the admin building and read the latest Tom Clancy novel thinking up new OOBs based on it." Coyote

Image Image
HAB Tankspotter - like trainspotting but with the thrill of 125mm retaliation if they spot you back
Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Hmm... Nice :D
Gah, your skills put mine non-existence ones to shame...
*Goes into his little corner to cry*

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Started work on a Stormtrooper now, ol' Roli is taking a back seat now. I just made him because he was quick and easy to build and bone, not for any long-term reason. However, a fully IK rigged Stormtrooper could come in handy for a lot more things...