The Tankette.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

The Tankette.

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Simple. Elegant. Cramped.

A single person tankette for those troublesome alleyways!
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Second Story RPG attack FTW!

Seriously, it looks sooooo easy to hit from the top and rear. The position of the MG means you have to come out of the hatch to fire it and therefore stop moving. You also are fucked on firing that rearward. I put it in a small turret on top.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

It's so cute!
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Thanks! I'm thinking of another design... I'll get around to it soon.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Tankettes were of limited tactical use as long ago as WWII - the only fairly successfull tankette was the British Universal Carrier, although TheMuffinKing's drawing is very good at encapsulating the awkward gait and vulnerability of tankettes in general.
LeftWingExtremist
Padawan Learner

Post by LeftWingExtremist »

Big Orange wrote:Tankettes were of limited tactical use as long ago as WWII - the only fairly successfull tankette was the British Universal Carrier, although TheMuffinKing's drawing is very good at encapsulating the awkward gait and vulnerability of tankettes in general.
Was the universal(bren) carrier even a tank? I thought it was more of an APC.

"...And everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon." - eclipse, Pink Floyd.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Awww... it's adorable! Who's a cute widdle tankette? You are! Yes you are!
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

LeftWingExtremist wrote:
Big Orange wrote:Tankettes were of limited tactical use as long ago as WWII - the only fairly successfull tankette was the British Universal Carrier, although TheMuffinKing's drawing is very good at encapsulating the awkward gait and vulnerability of tankettes in general.
Was the universal(bren) carrier even a tank? I thought it was more of an APC.
Very lightly armoured so it was indeed more of an APC, but it performed more of an cargo carrying function; also towed trailers, I believe. There may have been enclosed versions for combat use, but AFAIK they weren't used in that function too often.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

The Universal Carrier essentially looks like a tankette APC to me and could be cited as a reasonably successful tankette.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Eh? Tankettes are turretless, one or two man tanks. That's regular tank size, with a flat bed for troops/mortars/etc.
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

That thing actually looks useful. Limitedly useful, granted, but something that could be of benefit to a garrison force or something.
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

That "limitedly useful" thing there is the most widely produced AFV in history, actually :)

At least according to Wikipedia. The Bren carrier was a very handy tool- a cheap motor vehicle with all-terrain capacity and some armor protection against small arms. It was used extensively to carry mortars and other light weapons.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
LaserRifleofDoom
Padawan Learner

Post by LaserRifleofDoom »

The essential problem with tankettes is the easy availability of RPGs. If all you had to worry about was rifles (and hand grenades), then it would be realtively easy to produce a two-man vehicle that could patrol alleyways safely.
The Technology of Peace!
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!

Post by TheMuffinKing »

The Microtank. My sequel to the tankette.

Yet another example of the pinnacle of tiny tanks of dubious usefulness!
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Two man? This will do nicely for the HAB super ultra light anti-riot tanklet
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Yes, two man crew is the standard. I muzt now draw the 3 man command variant!
Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

TheMuffinKing, Do you play advance Wars? this looks like the standard tank from that game.
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

I've always wanted to play Advance Wars, but I have Nintendo stuff. As for the tank, it just came to me a few hours ago. I wanted another micro tank and this just happened after a few design revisions.

I'm honored I guess, for the comparison to a product from a reasonably well selling game! :D
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Forget the tankette, just make a super-sized SWORDS robot. The tankette cannot have enough armor to protect its crew without becoming a full-sized tank, making the whole concept utterly impractical in modern warfare.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Fye to that, our secret force demands capabilities unavailable to even the best remote control killing machine!

Besides, SWORDS are expensive, people are cheap and numerous.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

HAB Tanklet, Riot Control, Ultra Lightweight (Class XXX Riots Only)

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Isn't the Alvis Scorpion really sort of a Tankette? The Bren Gun Carrier really struck me as a sort of "Jeep with Treads".
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

MKSheppard wrote:HAB Tanklet, Riot Control, Ultra Lightweight (Class XXX Riots Only)
Shouldn't that be Super Featherweight? :P
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

HAB Ultra Light Anti Mecha Infantryman, Siberian Front, 82313 GL

Due to a mix up in orders, the 2341st Desert Light Division was sent to an arctic wasteland, and supplied with weapons from the 1294th Jungle division.

In keeping with HAB "Maximum use" policy, the handgrips on the Rocket laucnher are made of rare rain forest hardwood, while the loadbearing vest the soldier is wearing is made of Zebra hide.

The rockets are colorcoded:

BLUE: HAB Super Asphyxiant Agents
YELLOW: HAB Super Mustard Gas
GREEN: HAB Super Suffocating Agents