GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by Lonestar »

There's a guy on the Liberal Gun Club forums who is management with Daniel Defense. He claims that the company Executives have spoken with their congresspeople and reckon the bill has about a 5% chance of passing.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Lonestar wrote:There's a guy on the Liberal Gun Club forums who is management with Daniel Defense. He claims that the company Executives have spoken with their congresspeople and reckon the bill has about a 5% chance of passing.
When Harry Reid is saying the bill goes too far, thats telling something.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Supposebly the reason Leahy stayed as Chairman of the Judicial Committee after Inouye died(some Senators wanted him to take over Appropriations) was so that he would be better positioned to pump the brakes on any new ban.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Alyeska wrote:Feinstein's list of targeted guns has been made public. Its a fucking joke. It targets civilian assault rifles nearly exclussively.

Pistols. Its a fucking joke. The list exclussively targets AR and AK pistols. Anything with Tec in the name. Thompsons again. And of course Micro Uzis. Actual normal pistols like Gilocks, Berettas, Smith & Wesson. All unnamed

M1 Garand and SKS are legal. But anything wih more than 10 rounds internal is illegal. So my Marlin .22 rifle is would be illegal since it has 12 rounds.
And of course, if they don't change the definition of pistol, people will make not-a-pistol, not-a-rifle ARs very popular. Pistols with two pistol grips aren't pistols, after all. Garands may be affected if there's a definition of detachable magazine that includes the en bloc clips.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I like that the FAL is on the name ban list, but not the M14 or G3. The logic is incredible. I think its not really a joke that this list was made off a combination of what video game guns and a few random pages of shotgun news.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Sea Skimmer wrote:I like that the FAL is on the name ban list, but not the M14 or G3. The logic is incredible. I think its not really a joke that this list was made off a combination of what video game guns and a few random pages of shotgun news.
The G3 might not be on the list, but everything derived from it is.

HK91
PSG-1
HK93
HK94

Looking at the list, its almost entirely targeting semi autos. A few select fire weapons show up, but its mostly semi autos. M14 escaped simply because it doesn't have a pistol grip. Same reason the Mini-14 wasn't listed. Only the Mini-14 Tactical got on the evil list. The Beretta CX4 got on the evil list. Why? Thumbhole stock.

Given that her bill already targets features common on military weapons, it just makes the named ban a joke.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

I'm surprised that my PTR-91 wasn't listed. I was make on H&K presses bought from Portugal then imported into the US. For all intensive purposes it is a H&K 91, just has a different name.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Sea Skimmer wrote:I like that the FAL is on the name ban list, but not the M14 or G3. The logic is incredible. I think its not really a joke that this list was made off a combination of what video game guns and a few random pages of shotgun news.
She almost certainly drew the ban list from the original CA one. Why the hell else would you feel the need to include ones that haven't been manufactured in a 15-20 years?(Springfield SAR-48)
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

I think it turned out brilliantly. I took it over to the range after I picked it up and fired the seven rounds I had left and it's a pleasure to shoot now.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

That's gorgeous!
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

With that you can kill many Harperites Hitlerites in style.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:That's gorgeous!
Thanks. :)

Talking to the smith today and he mentioned that this was his second attempt. He had it all done, decided he didn't like how it looked, so he stripped it and did it again.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Taking him to be sighted in Monday. Any of you guys ever use Wolf ammo? I saw it online today, 14.95$ for 20 174gr FMJ. But I've never used it before.
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

I've not shot it before, but from what I hear the gold stuff (boxer primed, brass case) is nice ammo. Wolf Gold is repackaged Prvi Partizan, if you've ever shot that.

Their cheaper steel-cased ammo runs dirtier than brass-cased, and the bimetal jacketed ammo is really steel-jacketed bullets with a thin copper coating.
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

I used to run Wolf steel ammo through my Mosin M44...dirty as crap, but never had an FTF - 500 rounds through it before I sold it.

Aaron, by the way, that is a very nice rifle.

As for the DiFi bill, one interpretation I saw on SigForums is this:
quote:
The problem on page 13: All semi-autos are outlawed, not just some.

Pro-rights and anti-rights attention has been focused on the tremendous list of guns that would be banned under Feinstein's bill, which takes up a significant portion of the 122 pages of this proposal.

Here's the problem none of the "news" reports have spotted:

The list of guns doesn't matter.
Magazine size doesn't matter.
If the semi-auto firearm has anything to grip it by, it is banned.
It's very clever actually.
According to the bill, any semiautomatic firearm that uses a magazine -- handgun, rifle or shotgun -- equipped with a "pistol grip," would be banned. That sounds like a limitation, but it is not.

A pistol grip (on page 2) is defined (on page 13) as "a grip, a thumb-hole stock, or any other characteristic that can function as a grip." In other words, the gun list does not matter. It is a smokescreen designed to distract people from the true meaning of the bill. And it has done a magnificent job. It worked!

Any semi-automatic firearm that exists, with anything on it you can grip, is banned. (There is a grandfather clause for old stuff.)

The list is meaningless tripe. It is camouflage for the real purpose of the bill. When the president said he is not going to take away your guns, well, Feinstein's bill puts the lie to that.

Magazine size does not matter. Brand name does not matter. It doesn't matter if it's black. If you can grip it, it's banned under this bill.
pasted from here:
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/ ... 97803/p/20

That is might scary if you ask me. And something that I could see Washington trying to sneak through.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

So.... I managed to render my PX4 non functional. I attempt to install the low profile safety levers. Things did not go according to plan. Nothing is broken, I just couldn't install the components. So now I get to track down a local gunsmith and have him fix my mistakes.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Torben wrote:That is might scary if you ask me. And something that I could see Washington trying to sneak through.
Feinstein is too ignorant to have actually put that in there on purpose. It appears to have been worded in a way to try and pre-empt the gun industry from getting around the ban like they did with thumbhole stocks.

But since the law itself is very technical, the ATF would enforce specific wording regardless of actual intent.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I've shot Brown Bear(which is a bit more dubious than Wolf) through my AR-15 with no problem. I don't think that there would be any problems with using it with a Mosin.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Lonestar wrote:I've shot Brown Bear(which is a bit more dubious than Wolf) through my AR-15 with no problem. I don't think that there would be any problems with using it with a Mosin.
Oh Mo will fire anything I feed him. I'm more concerned about consistency and dirt. With 29 inches of barrel, I'll be at it all day.

So thanks guys. :)
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I don't think it'll be as dirty as you think it will. It isn't too bad even with a DI AR.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Ahh, yeah it would be fine then.
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

Mine was never very hard to clean, though I had 6" less of barrel. Also, I used a product called Power Foam - made for cleaning badly gunked carburetors and air intake systems. Sprayed that into the barrel with a patch at the end, it expanded and filled the barrel then got soaked up by the patches. Then a few runs with my .30 cal snake and the barrel was as clean as a whistle. Also made short work of the bolt assembly.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Actually, I have something similar for my flintlock that I keep forgetting about. An orange foaming cleaner.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Alyeska wrote:So.... I managed to render my PX4 non functional. I attempt to install the low profile safety levers. Things did not go according to plan. Nothing is broken, I just couldn't install the components. So now I get to track down a local gunsmith and have him fix my mistakes.
Ah, homegunsmithing. I did some on my 10/22, and successfully avoided having a bag of parts to take to the gunsmith.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan