GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by TheFeniX »

No pics of the .270 yet. My camera red screened on me. Really weird. I got a pic with my phone, but it was extremely grainy. Anyways, the rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard .270. Has a recoil pad unlike my dad's. The scope is a Bushnell Banner 8x50, supposedly effective up to 400 yards. Not exactly high-end, but based on what I've heard about her dad, I never would have put it past him to talk things up. It's on there nice and solid, so hopefully it should still be sighted enough to only require minor corrections when I get a chance to go to the range.

Seems to all be there and the scope aperture looks good. I'll likely open up the second-story window today and give a look with it out the window. They cut down pretty much everything behind my house WRT to retention ditch, so I've got about a mile unobstructed view of just grass.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I traded in my Glock 23 today. It only had 50 rounds through it. They took my Glock and 3 hi-cap magazines at $325 trade in. I decided I prefer my 40s in full size frames. The store owner ended up talking me into a Beretta PX4 9mm. Its awfully comfortable. Far better ambidextrous safety than the 92FS. 17 round factory magazines. Rotating barrel. Comfortable low profile hammer. Single notch rail. 4" barrel.

The store owner said that my Glock-26 is ideal for concealed carry. But that if I wanted something to carry in a bag, that full sized pistols like the Storm are ideal. Discouraged me from getting a Glock-19. That and Glock-19s are on significant back order right now.

Oh yes. He sold 4,000 P-Mags and GI-Mags in 3 days. He is completely out of hi-capacity AR15 and AK magazines. Completely out. Every shipment is gone in 3-4 days. 9mm and 40cal prices are up $2-$3 a box. Hunting rounds haven't changed a penny. .223 prices have doubled. 9mm pistols are flying off the shelves.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Alyeska wrote: Oh yes. He sold 4,000 P-Mags and GI-Mags in 3 days. He is completely out of hi-capacity AR15 and AK magazines. Completely out. Every shipment is gone in 3-4 days. 9mm and 40cal prices are up $2-$3 a box. Hunting rounds haven't changed a penny. .223 prices have doubled. 9mm pistols are flying off the shelves.
The insane ammo situation is why I stick .38 special and shotguns for my shooting these days. Prices for their ammo haven't been subject to as much fear mongering as 100 year old wheel guns and shotguns are being pretty much ignored by the current debates.

I do find that I want to get .22 pistol for plinking, as the price is truly right. I've heard good things about the walther P-22 on this forum and elsewhere. Ruger's also have a good rep. What would folks recommend?
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Raj Ahten wrote:
Alyeska wrote: Oh yes. He sold 4,000 P-Mags and GI-Mags in 3 days. He is completely out of hi-capacity AR15 and AK magazines. Completely out. Every shipment is gone in 3-4 days. 9mm and 40cal prices are up $2-$3 a box. Hunting rounds haven't changed a penny. .223 prices have doubled. 9mm pistols are flying off the shelves.
The insane ammo situation is why I stick .38 special and shotguns for my shooting these days. Prices for their ammo haven't been subject to as much fear mongering as 100 year old wheel guns and shotguns are being pretty much ignored by the current debates.

I do find that I want to get .22 pistol for plinking, as the price is truly right. I've heard good things about the walther P-22 on this forum and elsewhere. Ruger's also have a good rep. What would folks recommend?
Walther P22 is rock solid. Irritating to reassemble. Grip is a little flunky for those with bigger hands. But rock solid.

The Ruger SR22. I've held it. My god, it fits into any hand. Big or large. It just... fits. Haven't shot one, but heard good things.

Both pistols are comparably priced.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Raj Ahten wrote:
Man, I looked at three different Walmarts yesterday for a brick of .22LR, no joy. I am not happy.

At the Walmart off of Main Street in Fairfax new Shirley Gate I came across a bunch of Winchester White Box 9mm...so it looks like I'm going to be mostly shooting my 9-mil in the future.

By the way, I really enjoy my SR22, although I've only shot it once. since I got it three weeks ago.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

So, for those of us who care, it looks like Taurus is buying Remington(well, the Freedom Group).

Ugh Ugh Ugh
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Lonestar wrote:So, for those of us who care, it looks like Taurus is buying Remington(well, the Freedom Group).

Ugh Ugh Ugh
Seriously? Wow, thats interesting. I didn't even know Taurus was that big.

Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

The Marlin fiasco on a larger scale?
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Lonestar wrote:So, for those of us who care, it looks like Taurus is buying Remington(well, the Freedom Group).

Ugh Ugh Ugh
See that? You bad mouthed Taurus and the decided to get back at you :lol:
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Alyeska wrote:
Seriously? Wow, thats interesting. I didn't even know Taurus was that big.
It seems Taurus is the second biggest publicly traded gunmaker by revenue after S&W. I was really surprised to see S&W at the top, but I guess FN is owned by Belgium and Glock is privately owned.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Coworker just bought a Smith J frame pistol last week. Hadn't been shooting in 12 years. She wanted to get some practice in today before going to a gun safety class.

Well.... She picked up a 38 special. 5 shot. Hamerless. Oh yes, a hamerless revolver. I knew she would be in for some trouble.

I brought my Walther P22 and a Springfield XD9. Started her on the Walther so she was used to the pop. Then I made her fire the Walther as a Double Action and I warned her that her revolver was going to be like that.

Yeah, no hammer to pull back. She was struggling with every single shot from that revolver. I had her try my XD9. She loved the lower recoil and easy trigger on it.

Now she wants to get a sub compact semi auto of some sort. I told her the revolver is good, but she needs practice with it. And that it will never be super accurate.

tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Hammerless revolvers

Why would you even

That's missing half the fun
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

tim31 wrote:Hammerless revolvers

Why would you even

That's missing half the fun
Without a hammer the revolver is much easier to conceal. Less to snag when drawing it. It has a hammer, but its hidden within the frame making the revolver DAO.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Hammerless revolvers also come in handy for if you carry in a jacket (or other pocketed clothing) or with purses designed for concealed carry that allow you to have your hand on the gun ready to fire without having it exposed. They are also better in an upclose encounter when you're basically point-blank and still need to fire the weapon. A hand or piece of loose clothing can jam up an exposed hammer or keep an automatic from firing more than one round without jamming. If you have a hammerless, you can literally just jam the gun into an attacker's chest and pull the trigger as fast as possible.

Essentially, they come in handy for women because it's generally much harder for them to conceal carry. But if anyone is considering carrying a revolver for self-defense, a well-made hammerless revolver will outperform an exposed hammer for pretty much anything besides trying to line up a shot on a target at range and that's a situation most sane people would bug out on anyway.

On another note, they are also nice on something like a judge, or any revolver that will fire .410 shotgun shells. If you load them up with snake shot, you literally just draw it and fire as quick as possible if you encounter something like a rattlesnake. Since you're firing down and snake shot has terrible ballistics against any kind of clothing, even at point blank range, it's really not that dangerous to just unload on the general area you spot the snake. There's no need to cock the pistol first, so why bother with a hammer to get snagged?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Alyeska, give your Senator a call today. Feinstein is going to unveil her AWB and Montana has a (D) Senator up for reelection in 2014.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Lonestar wrote:Alyeska, give your Senator a call today. Feinstein is going to unveil her AWB and Montana has a (D) Senator up for reelection in 2014.
Will do. Baucus has to be careful on guns. He almost lost 96 because he supported the 94 AWB.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Called the local office and encouraged Max to continue supporting Montana traditions.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Baucus is a shithead and in the pocket of healthcare industries. Why would you reelect him anyway?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Thanas wrote:Baucus is a shithead and in the pocket of healthcare industries. Why would you reelect him anyway?
I can vote against him in the Primary. But as incumbement, he will almost certainly win.

Which leaves the General Election. And that's either Baucus or a Republican. And in Montana, thats a possible Tea Party candidate if Republican.

Two party system. Lesser of two evils.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Feinstein's list of targeted guns has been made public. Its a fucking joke. It targets civilian assault rifles nearly exclussively.

AR family, AK family, anything from FN, H&K, etc. Toss in stuff like the Mini-14 and Thompson Submachine Gun family. Kel-Tec Sub 2000 and H&K USC make the list. But the Beretta CX4 did not make the list.

Pistols. Its a fucking joke. The list exclussively targets AR and AK pistols. Anything with Tec in the name. Thompsons again. And of course Micro Uzis. Actual normal pistols like Glocks, Berettas, Smith & Wesson. All unnamed.

Belt Fed weapons like the M2HB are illegal. But the M134 Minigun is still legal.

The law supposedly has an exception for almost any restricted item if used for hunting. Yeah, nice loophole.

M1 Garand and SKS are legal. But anything wih more than 10 rounds internal is illegal. So my Marlin .22 rifle is would be illegal since it has 12 rounds.

Hi-cap magazines would be grandfathered but not transferable. Guns would be grandfathered and transferable.

Anyway, commentators and advocates from both sides of the Gun Control debate all say that Feinsteins bill will almost certainly fail.

Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Yeah, it reaches to far, to a ridiculous degree. But someone mentioned in N&P that's she's a bit of a joke, most of her bills don't go anywhere.

Anyways, my Mosin is all done, in it's stock, varnished and bolt bent. I pick it up Sunday. I'll try and get some better pics this time.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Alyeska wrote:Feinstein's list of targeted guns has been made public. Its a fucking joke. It targets civilian assault rifles nearly exclussively.

Toss in stuff like the Mini-14
No, no...Tactical Mini-14 models. The regular ones are okay.

But the Beretta CX4 did not make the list.
I believe that it is in the list, at least if the picture on gunnit is to be believed.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Oh, and $10k anti-material rifles are on the list as well.

DiFis Staff probably just went through the list of guns used in Battlefield and copied it.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

You are right. The CX4 made the list. And the M82. What a fucking joke.

Belt Fed Semi Automatics. What a bunch of fucking idiots.