Housebuilding in Finland

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Housebuilding in Finland

Post by Borgholio »

And I made a wooden mallet from some old firewood logs I found at my parents cottage. The species of wood is called Rowan.
Going for the Finnish version of Thor, now?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

It's going to be mainly for driving chisels and stuff like that, a nice and massive woodworking mallet. I made it mostly by hand as well, it was a pretty relaxing project.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Rowan makes good tool handles and other things of that nature, but I'm not sure how it'll stand up to use as a mallet. Those are usually oak, maybe with ash or rowan as a handle

The ribs look divine. I started drooling the moment I saw them
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
His Divine Shadow

Thanks, it turned out real well. Making pulled pork and baby back ribs today as well.

We'll see about the mallet, oak doesn't grow here and is expensive as heck. I understand birch is often used here instead, but I got this now so I'll give it a try. Don't think it's as durable as oak.

Anyway boys are being boys, playing in the mud after rain:

The exterior slab is done too, also made the "trim" around the door and windows:

And my motor renovation is finished and remounted to my jointer. This motor is a 1450rpm model so it's slower than my old motor, I decided to turn my own pulley from plywood in the right size, much cheaper than buying one.

We're starting to get a lawn, still missing the tiles:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Boys are boys, no matter what nation, and a mud puddle is always a source of happiness and fun. Jump in it, dig in it, squeeze the mud in your hands, push your brother into it..... Good times. :)

The garage is really looking great. As for the tiles, when were you expecting them to be delivered?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I appreciate it's off for the photos, but there is a safety cover for that pulley right?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
His Divine Shadow

Nope, been meaning to build one but I get side tracked, I think it's pretty safe anyway is it's against the wall on the other side that you never stand at.

As for the tiles LadyTevar , I meant to order them but we've been looking hard for the cheapest, yet not ugliest choice. Cheapest are 30x30cm grey tiles but that's so boring. We've found 435x435mm grey tiles though which are cheap and bigger, and will make a pattern using red/black paving stones so it's not just gray.

I drew it up in sketchup so I could calculate how many stones of each would be needed:
His Divine Shadow

Just found this little guy in the ditch next to the garage:

EDIT: Whoa, huge. Flickr is down so I had to put it elsewhere, resized

Flickr is back, replaced img.
Last edited by His Divine Shadow on 2015-07-15 02:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Jätti kokosista puheen ollen toi PC kuva rikko formaatin mulle, joten jos on mahollista voisitko pienentää sitä tai muuttaa linkiksi, kiitos.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
His Divine Shadow

I eeplaced image with the usual style flickr image of the ordinary size now. So things ought to look OK now.
His Divine Shadow

Now we got a lawnmower too, well they got a lawnmower apparently...

Also building some large bar clamps:

So I can laminate the top for this additional workbench I am building, top is just held loosely now:

Very sturdy and simple design from woodgears.ca. The clamp design is John Heisz's

And since my dust collector project has stalled waiting for some parts and I was getting fed up with all the dust and chips and crap, I bought this of the local craigslist equivalent:

50 bucks and it was new, guy who sold it got it by mistake for his shop and wanted to get rid of it, looked up the model on the internet afterwards and it sold for 150, so not bad. Works a whole lot better than my homemade shop vac and way quiteter, this is like a combo between a DC and a shopvac. I think it'll replace my old shopvac, but the DC build is still on, it's not anywhere near that performance, but it can suck most of the dust from the bandsaw as is. Wanna put it on castors and build a better DC collection port under the bandsaw table, perhaps a thien separator for this shopvac too.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lawnmower? Nah, just another toy for the boys right now. Give 'em 10yrs, then you can have THEM mow the lawn. :) Or, be like my lil brother, buy them toy lawn mowers, and grin as they followed him like ducklings whenever he mowed the grass.

I like the tile design, the smaller red squares set it off perfectly. Just remember you get what you pay for, and cheap tile may not last long. Especially if a hedgehog decides to make his burrow in your lawn. :)

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lord Revan wrote:Jätti kokosista puheen ollen toi PC kuva rikko formaatin mulle, joten jos on mahollista voisitko pienentää sitä tai muuttaa linkiksi, kiitos.
Lord Revan? Please translate your post into English. I know that Shadow understood you perfectly, but we do ask that you use English on SDnet when posting on the public boards.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

What it read is "speaking of giant sized that PC picture broke format for me, so if possible could make it smaller or change it to a link please"
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
His Divine Shadow

Laying tiles isn't easy, I mean the getting it all even part, despite flattening the surface and getting it all level, except with a very slight incline from the house so water would run off, well things are easily messed up once you start laying down. Already removed and replaced a dozen and I see some more in this photo that need to come up. The ones that stick up are much more easily fixed, with my rubber mallet I just beat them down and they tend to be easy to fix.

Boys are being their usual selves, though they no longer look like this, cut off their hair tonight to 6mm, which I think is around 1/4".
His Divine Shadow

Another panorama
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/686/2041 ... d9b5_k.jpg

Tiles, where done a while ago

Me sitting on a rock in the back yard. Rocks are cool.

Impeller mk2

the non destructive kind
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I see you have been claimed by some of the local wildlife who also wants to enjoy the rock.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Big Rock = Things Twins will play "King of Mountain" on.

YAY! The Impeller Works!

fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Borgholio, I think that's his employer.

After all, dogs may have owners, but cats have staff.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

His Divine Shadow wrote:Nope, been meaning to build one but I get side tracked, I think it's pretty safe anyway is it's against the wall on the other side that you never stand at.

ugh, I'd give it a wrap around to limit the distance the band can go when it snaps, and eliminate the spear chucker effect when a bit of wood falls into it by accident.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
His Divine Shadow

The fence itself works as a shield and given the relatively low tension of the belt I doubt it will go far. In the past it's rolled off when I had an unsuitable metal pulley and nothing much came of that. I also don't think it's even possible to launch anything using the belt, like what can happen with a table saw kickback. The cutter head itself is much more likely to do that if the knives dig into it, which is where I need a guard the most.
His Divine Shadow

Pretty great weekend. hogged off the kids to my parents (and they always have a great time there), 26 degree weather and we went to "Juhtbacka Marknad" one off the biggest 2nd hand fairs in Finland. A yearly occurence. Don't remember the weather ever being this nice this summer.

Found a Stanley Bailey No 5:

And before that I picked up a stick welder, here I'd just made a cart for it:

Kemppi Super Kempak, 150 amp AC to DC welder. Currently wired for single phase but I'll rewire it for 3-phase operation later.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

That looks like a really lovely #5 in great shape... what are you doing for sharpening?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
His Divine Shadow

I use a sort of improvised system, bit of freehand sharpening, sometimes with a jig. I have a cheapo rough stone and a finer diamond plate and some leather glued to a piece of wood I use as a strop.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I'm a diamond-plate guy. Tried waterstones for a while, but got tired of the constant need to keep them flat. Was using sandpaper on a ceramic tile for some time, and got some pretty decent edges that way, but you run up the cost fairly quickly that way. Diamond plates are pretty awesome. Though I will note that they don't seem to get *quite* as razor-sharp as the finest waterstone I had...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.