GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by Aaron MkII »

Alyeska wrote:
Sea Skimmer wrote:Speaking of M1s, has anyone used one of those insertable five round magazine adaptors that exist for competition shooting? I've been considering getting a Garand, but the PA state ranges I use strictly limit rifles to loading three rounds at a time, so using the normal clip is impossible.
Those rules.... Even Canada which restricts rifles to 5 rounds has an exception just for the Garand to hold 8.
Semi-auto centre fire is the only one that has that restriction. Just so everyone knows.

Also we can have the LAR mags and if it the rifle is designed to feed from a handgun mag, you can have ten. Like my Sub 2000
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Frankly being open public ranges, unlimited use for two people (you and guest) for a 30 dollar a year fee, with no range officers I am not going to complain about a strict limits on how many rounds you can load at a time. You have to keep your eyes open to make sure nobody around you is doing anything stupid all the time. Even if I felt like spending the money, only a few private rifle ranges exist in my area, and all of them are social club setups full of bullshit.
Range officers or not, I learned early on everyone should watch everyone.

I had one lady whose gun wouldn't fire turn it sideways and start hitting it. I finished my mag and looked right only to see a Glock barrel pointed at my face while she shook it with her finger on the trigger. The range officer for our bay was busy dealing with some guy rocking a snub-nose .44 blowing holes in the wood. Turns out the lady had never even picked up a gun before and had just learned to load a gun by watching me. She just didn't get the mag in all the way, so I spent a few minutes explaining basic gun safety and other stuff to her. She was too afraid to ask for help because she didn't want to look stupid. I asked her "how stupid would you have felt if you had accidentally shot me in the face?"

That was many years ago and I learned quick, no matter where you are or who you're shooting with, everyone watches everyone like a hawk. If you have questions, fucking ask. No one makes fun of you for asking and the guys that do make fun of you... no one likes them anyway. And don't count on range officers. I've watched two young ROs eye-fuck a pretty girl in short-shorts and a tank-top for over 30 minutes. This would normally pass without incident, except they totally missed a guy moving benches carrying two cocked pistols.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Well, most of the private ranges I've been to, and the only one I'd remotely consider joining for rifle shooting, also have walls between the stalls, so utter idiocity like that is a less direct problem. Last time I was at the state range meanwhile, an idiot kid with a Bushmaster managed to shoot the ground about one foot downrange while loading it beside me, and this was after his first attempt to load was pointed at me apparently, I didn't see it because I was firing but my friend did while watching my back. Thankfully that idiot did have a friend with him with a lot more experience who was afterwards exercising a high level of control and not letting him take the rifle off the bench.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

We had friends out with us last week and the guys wife is a scatter brain. Asked if she could see the Ranch Hand and immediately muzzle swept Val. I grabbed it, gouging my finger on the bolt and put it back down. Thankfully it was cleared and the action open so I knew it was empty. But god damn. She was heavily supervised after that and whether or not she's allowed back is up in the air.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

So is anyone else tempted to start printing images from the pony thread as targets? I have money on my school printer account that expires in a week and it seems like a damn shame to let the school keep it.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Not particularly, mostly because it would upset my daughter but we use a lot of those zombie splash targets.
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

Is a pic required in this thread?

My wife just asked me to show her my Henry U.S. Survival Rifle, since she just read about another idiot who shot a family member, and she wanted to know how safe I was with it.

It's a nice piece, and I love how everything fits in the stock--I picked up another mag to store in the receiver, so now I can get 3 in there, along with a collapsible cleaning rod I managed to mod alongside the barrel storage slot. It's a lot of fun at the range too, everyone wants a peek at it. Word to the wise, just because it floats doesn't mean it's waterproof, I tried.

I'm looking at Walther P99's, has anyone tried them? The ergonomics are attractive.
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

I haven't heard anything bad about them and there attractively priced. I've been toying with purchasing a PPQ Navy actually. The Henry is the .22 right, all comes apart and slots in the stock? How's accuracy?
TOSDOC
Padawan Learner
Location: Rotating between Redshirt Hospital and the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship.

Post by TOSDOC »

The Henry is the .22 right, all comes apart and slots in the stock? How's accuracy?
That's the one. I've always liked it since I saw From Russia With Love as a kid, just had to have one. The accuracy I think could be better, but it's the nature of the takedown too. They advertise taking small game at 50 yards, but I think I'd have to close to 30 or 40. Part of it is the takedown barrel--it can shift if the nut becomes loose during firing and occasionally needs to be re-tightened. The other part is me practicing more. I still think a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin bolt action would be more reliable, but I sought the Henry for compactness. It only likes round-nose hypersonic, so I'm glad WalMart has cheap Winchester Super X (it's favorite). I'd have to bevel the breech a bit to feed hollow points or they jam easy. I've heard of people doing that, but don't know if I'm up to it yet. :)
"In the long run, however, there can be no excuse for any individual not knowing what it is possible for him to know. Why shouldn't he?" --Elliot Grosvenor, Voyage of the Space Beagle
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Heh. I'm tempted to either get a AR-7 or a 10/22 Takedown. The AR-7 seems a bit more gadget-y though.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

The 10 22 I got came with a very good (the U-part is covered with rubber) lock (which locks the bolt and magazine), which cannot be unlocked by either children or senior citizens (the keyhole is covered and you have to turn the keyhole to insert the key). A problem is that the metal from the part of metal that locks the bolt scratches the plastic stock, considering using electrical tape to cover the lock.

The 10 22 also comes with it's own carrying case, with compartments for each piece of the gun.

The 10 22 is a bit more expensive, but the price in a sense is covered by the retail prices of what they throw in: lock, carrying case. Of course you could buy your own lock, and use your own backpack.

Haven't shot it.

Edit:
Question: what is the suggested hearing protection for guns? Do ranges provide hearing protection?
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Hearing protection?

Get the yellow foamies and put them in, then a set of proper earmuffs over top.

Or you could get the ones that cut out over a certain decibal and let you have a conversation. I haven't had much luck with those.

The range i shoot at doesn't supply anything so you buy it yourself.
Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

Aaron MkII wrote:I haven't heard anything bad about them and there attractively priced. I've been toying with purchasing a PPQ Navy actually. The Henry is the .22 right, all comes apart and slots in the stock? How's accuracy?
Shot a buddy's PPQ; is on my shortlist once the RPAL gets here. It's basically the same gun underneath as the P99QA, but my god have they fixed the trigger. easily the best and most accurate plastic-lower pistol I've ever shot. Glocks have NOTHING on it.
Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Well I have only the P226 and some clapped out High Power's to compare it to.

Not really a pistol guy.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Aaron MkII wrote:Or you could get the ones that cut out over a certain decibal and let you have a conversation. I haven't had much luck with those.
My uncle has a pair of BOSE noise-cancellation headphones. While I've always found BOSE overrated, the quality of the headset is fantastic. Gun fire is perfectly muffled, yet hearing voices isn't hindered at all. However, they were like $300 back when I tried them 7 or so years ago.

Earplugs get me by pretty much all the time these days, with the exception of something like an AR-15 variant. Best case, go get a couple dozen disposable ear-plugs, and have a decent pair of ear muffs to back them up when someone is shooting next to you with a BFG.
Sephirius wrote:Shot a buddy's PPQ; is on my shortlist once the RPAL gets here. It's basically the same gun underneath as the P99QA, but my god have they fixed the trigger. easily the best and most accurate plastic-lower pistol I've ever shot. Glocks have NOTHING on it.
I've found Glocks are very overrated ergonomically. I've never liked their grip as it "sweeps" too far forward for me. That said, other pistol manufacturers have had a long time to look at the Glock frame and iron out what they did wrong, so it's easy to bag on a 30 year-old gun. I've always like the SA XD ergonomics, but the S&W M&P has replaced it as my favorite gun in that aspect.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

I've ordered some that cut out without electronics and fit in like a hearing aid, skeptical...they were 15$

And that was the view from the firing line at 1300 today. The snow past the tables is up above my kamiks, so just under my knee.

I also managed to work out the drop on my .44 with some help from my son as spotter, and we managed to hit the 200 yard gong. First time for that.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

A friend with an ADF background is planning to take me to a range where we'll be shooting targets out to 800 yards. I told him not to expect me to hit anything; he responded that he had 1,500 rounds to dispose of and that he'd have me in the A zone by the end of the day.

Jesus.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

He just might at that. What's he got?
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Adding in my small collection here

Handguns

SIG Mosquito .22lr

H&K USP .40

Taurus 1911, .45 of course

Rifles

Savage .17 HMR

Savage 110, .223

PTR 91, US produced H&K G3 clone, .308
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Aaron MkII wrote:He just might at that. What's he got?
The rifles we'll be shooting are an R700 and this thing which is apparently sitting on 8 or 9 turns in the barrel.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

That is a very nice stock.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lonestar wrote:Friends don't let friends buy Taurus!
Why?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Thanas wrote:
Lonestar wrote:Friends don't let friends buy Taurus!
Why?
Taurus pistols have a reputation for unrealibity and terrible customer service. The semi-autos do anyways. I've not heard complaints about their revolvers or Rossi rifles though. Its all part of BrazTech.

Mind you I've also heard that they've hired a guy specifically to turn all that around.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

If it was a semi auto or revolver I woldn't buy a Taurus, if it was a revolver I'd only buy a smith or ruger (always exceptions to any rule though). I would and did buy a Rossi lever rifle, then again they aren't truly a Taurus brand even if they where bought by them.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.