GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by Aaron MkII »

I gotta disagree with your "tacticool" choice though, a red dot sight is a practical addition to the rifle. Especially if you have crappy iron sights. Now if there was a vertical foregrip, a flashlight and laser, sure. But that only looks out of place on the lever, put all that on an AR or CZ 858 and no one cares.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Not strictly a gun but gun related. I got some armor plate (armox 500) and made a stand I can keep in my cars trunk:

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Good idea. Is that just for handguns, or do you use it for the rifles as well?
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

These are primarily meant to be rifle plates but I guess they will see some pistol action as well.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Lonestar wrote:Tacticool:
That's not Tacticool as far as I'm concerned. I would love a lever carbine with something like a 2-4x aperture on it.
His Divine Shadow wrote:These are primarily meant to be rifle plates but I guess they will see some pistol action as well.
Man I love shooting steel. It's one of my reasons for getting a CX4. I liked the whole 3-gun (2-gun really) where you start with your rifle and end with your pistol. Nothing competitive, but we'd do it for fun after matches. I'm trying to build something out of leftovers from old jobs that I could hang from 2 T-Posts.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Nothing is as tacticool as my folding trigger on Bodeo Model 1889 revolver, chambered for 10.4mm because metric is no defense against odd calibers.

Also from top to bottom, I have a Hungarian PA-63 9mm, which fucking hates lacquered ammunition, as I found out at the range when it jammed on every shot, West German P1, and a tiny little S&W .32cal revolvor I actually found between the mattresses of my grandparents bed cleaning up the house. My crappy phone camera doesn't want to take very worthwhile shots of my SKS and other rifles and carbines until I figure out better lighting.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

The P1 is a redesignated P38, right?
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The postwar P38s had aluminium frames, and those proved a little weak so they added an extra bolt to hold them together and redesignated it a P1 in 1957. I'm sure the redesignation was still more political then driven by this small change. Its a nice gun, I don't think it was fired more then a few times before I got it. The PA-63 doesn't look like it was ever fired, but I've hardly been able to change that since I need to get different ammunition and find someone to sell the other stuff too.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

That folding trigger, does it use a button or anything to fold it?
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

When its in the folded position a little lip on the bottom of the frame holds it in that position combined with the fact that its loosely pinned on the pivot letting it slip under the latch lip slightly. This would be worn off over time, but this gun was made in 1918 and it still works, though I doubt anyone has fired it since the war. Its kind of surprising it holds as well as it does, violent shaking will not dislodge it, though its also a bit of a pain to pull down one handed while holding it. That latch isn't engaged in my second picture I realize, but in the first one you can just make out the dark spot that is the slot it goes in. It is latched in the third one.

When you pull it off that latch it just dangles loosely, though it feels pretty solid as long as you keep a light pressure on it; who cares about safety this is war! I have not had a chance to fire it since ammunition is hard to obtain and well, my faith in a 94 year old Italian revolver not spraying gas everywhere is low, though I see people on the youtube have fired other 1918 models with no problems. Gift from my dad randomly, he likes stuff like this.

An officer version of this gun had a trigger guard and fixed trigger. I have no firm idea at all why the infantry version I have is folding trigger, but it may have been intended as a safety as the gun otherwise has none and this is in line with about how rational Italian small arms design of this era was. Another theory is it was to keep the trigger and guard from snagging on stuff when being carried and drawn by men who were not issued holsters, as holsters would cost money. That's also rational by Italian standards. It certainly is a damn solid gun overall, beating someone to death with it would be easy. This is good since you have to manually eject each spent case and then reload one round at a time.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

So, some new gun club is opening up on 10 and BW8 this Saturday. Buy a box of ammo for a certain gun and you get to demo it for free, all range charges included. The wife has a report due, so I might swing by and check it out. They also have some raffle if you drop off something for "Toys for Tots." Since I generally try and get a few toys for that anyways, I'll stop by the store and snag something Star Wars related as I always do. The only thing I'm really looking to purchase is a hammerless .357, but I might see if they have that competition XD there and try it out.

My only beef is that it's indoors, for good reason, but they allow holster draws if the range officer signs off on it. They also allow rapid fire if you don't act like an idiot.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

After a 8 hr(each way!) Trip to the CMP North Store I have returned with Swag

DSCF3452 by BaronBucher, on Flickr

Springfield M1 Garand, CMP Special Grade w/WW2 serial number. 200 Rounds of .30-06 for $90. Government surplus FTW.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Oh man, that is fantastic.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Oh, how many clips do they give you?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Aaron MkII wrote:Oh, how many clips do they give you?

It came with one, bought a box of 25 for $20.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Wow, no way in hell would we ever get a deal like that here. Treasure that, it's a piece of history.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

So, My Dad came along because he had it in his head that he was going to buy a Service-Grade Garand(around $600), but they didn't have any in that price range that weren't beat to hell, although they did have Korean Service Grades that were a whole $40 cheaper than the special grade I bought(which was in factory new condition, new stock, new barrel, with the remainder of it being a FrankenGarand with a Springfield WW2 Receiver). He told the guy behind the counter "No...I don't think I can justify it, I was just going to mount it on my wall".

CMP: You can use it for shooting too, you know.

Dad: I have a rifle for shooting

CMP: Black Rifle?

Dad:...yes.

CMP: So, you need a real rifle for shooting then :P
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Speaking of M1s, has anyone used one of those insertable five round magazine adaptors that exist for competition shooting? I've been considering getting a Garand, but the PA state ranges I use strictly limit rifles to loading three rounds at a time, so using the normal clip is impossible.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I'm going to be visiting Arizona in a few months time, and I was wondering what the laws and regs are on tourists visiting and using shooting ranges. Could someone enlighten me please?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I'm going to be visiting Arizona in a few months time, and I was wondering what the laws and regs are on tourists visiting and using shooting ranges. Could someone enlighten me please?

Mike Wong has shot at ranges while in the US before, so It's possible. The easiest would be If you are visiting a citizen that has firearms, just go with them.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Lonestar wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:I'm going to be visiting Arizona in a few months time, and I was wondering what the laws and regs are on tourists visiting and using shooting ranges. Could someone enlighten me please?

Mike Wong has shot at ranges while in the US before, so It's possible. The easiest would be If you are visiting a citizen that has firearms, just go with them.
Good to know. Thanks.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

If you are a non immigrant you cannot possess weapons or ammunition independently. It is perfectly legal for you to rent them for use within a firing range or use weapons on a range owned by someone else in general. Just don't carry anything off the range complex yourself.

Exception to this exist for hunting with a valid license and attending competitive shooting events, but you need an extra ATF permit for that kind of thing. Generally resident aliens can obtain ownership rights, even conceal carry rights after a given period of time but that's state by state and of course, not your concern.
Last edited by Sea Skimmer on 2012-12-02 05:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Awesome.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Speaking of M1s, has anyone used one of those insertable five round magazine adaptors that exist for competition shooting? I've been considering getting a Garand, but the PA state ranges I use strictly limit rifles to loading three rounds at a time, so using the normal clip is impossible.
Those rules.... Even Canada which restricts rifles to 5 rounds has an exception just for the Garand to hold 8.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Alyeska wrote: Those rules.... Even Canada which restricts rifles to 5 rounds has an exception just for the Garand to hold 8.
The law applies to all hunting anywhere, and all state land which includes all the state ranges; except that certain ranges have a specific pistol area which allows loading 8 rounds in pistols only. Also no shotshell of any sort is allowed, mainly I think to limit damage to the wood framing they have to hold targets.

Frankly being open public ranges, unlimited use for two people (you and guest) for a 30 dollar a year fee, with no range officers I am not going to complain about a strict limits on how many rounds you can load at a time. You have to keep your eyes open to make sure nobody around you is doing anything stupid all the time. Even if I felt like spending the money, only a few private rifle ranges exist in my area, and all of them are social club setups full of bullshit.