Some castings

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Korto
Jedi Master

Some castings

Post by Korto »

First a couple of axes

Just doodling, really...

Was meant to be a war-pick, but legally iffy, so it's a sculpture with the socket where the handle was meant to go filled in.

Double the Fist!

A sacrificial dagger

And my favourite piece. Not sure whether to call it Dark Froggy or Evil Kermit. That shit on its eye (your right) seems to be just a trick of light and bad camera angle; there's nothing actually there.

Finally, something out of aluminium
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

Please show some pics of your furnace.
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Post #114 @ Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:44 pm

"I've had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had
And a lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad"

-Johnny Cash, "Wanted Man"

UPF: CARNIVAL OF RETARDS
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Damn it, stop making me want to get into forging.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

Hey Loomer, did you see my thread on here a couple months ago where I was melting down aluminum in a 55 gallon drum? I went and built a pouring device to set the pot in and then I fabricated some ingot molds. I can get some more pics if you want to see em. I have video too.
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I did, yes, and that'd be pretty cool.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

You asketh, you geteth

Since I work at the TAFE foundry, I use their furnaces. I plan one day to make one of my own, but at present having them pay for the gas suits me just fine.
Anyway, this is our little furnace, used for melting copper alloys (brass and bronze), as well as being a general workhorse (pewter, lead, and whatever else they bring in with a melting point copper or less)
And our big furnace, used for aluminium. Image

Since I was there with a camera, I decided to make a day of it.
Here's two other views of the foundry,
Image Image
In the first, you can see the sand mill, for mixing green sand, and in the second you can see our old induction furnace. Anyone knowledgeable in the field of induction furnaces will notice that this one was built sometime in the early 15th century (a good trick, as they hadn't discovered electricity yet), and is of course powered by rats running on treadmills. Unfortunately a few years ago our rats died (give them a break, over 500 years is a long lifespan for a rat) and new rats will apparently cost tens of thousands of dollars (presumably for a very large block of cheese). So I'm stuck with this bloody thing taking up space in my bloody foundry.

Anyway

Inside the small furnace - just a refractory cement cylinder, in the upper right quadrant you can see the exhaust hole to the far right (higher in the furnace), and a gas hole lower down.

Image Image

Removing a pot of brass from the furnace, and cleaning off the dross.
Image Image

Making a Casting (Note - This isn't how the pieces above were made. Most of those are lost wax castings, while this is a green sand casting)
First, get your stuff together Image
You can see the bottom half of a box, the pattern (that anvil-looking thing), and a wheelbarrow full of green-sand (the black stuff)
Green-sand is a mix of sand, clay, graphite, and water. I'll tell you why it's called green when its self-evidently black, later.

Image Image
As there's no 'flat back' to the pattern, a box half has to be lightly filled with sand, and then the pattern pressed into it to the half-way mark, in order to hold the pattern correctly to start making the mould

Image Image
The other box half is then placed over the top, and sand firmly packed in around the pattern. The white stuff you can see in the left picture is Parting power (typically chalk). Green-sand sticks together because it's damp. That's fine, except you don't want the two box halves to stick together, or you'll rip the mould apart when you try to remove your pattern (this is generally considered a bad thing in foundry circles). The parting powder sucks up the moisture on the surface and thereby creates surface dryness. And why is it called green-sand? Because it's damp (think green wood).

Image Image
Final packing down for the half.
You then turn the whole thing over, remove the bottom box (which only has loose sand), empty out the loose sand, replace the box, and repack the sand again, this time properly. No pictures. It's exactly the same as the last bit, including the parting powder.
You then cut in your pour hole, and a riser hole (you see there a thin-sided metal pipe. It can be pushed in and will cut out a section of sand)

Image Image
Split the boxes and remove the pattern. Ooops, damage! Those black areas around the pattern is where sand has broken loose and will have to be repaired. (Quick repair job ensued)
Finally, the finished mould, with pourer-cup (powdered for contrast against the black, for ease of seeing it. Sometimes it can be hard to see when you have a brightly glowing pot of metal.)

Image Image
The aluminium furnace is emptied (as you can see, one of us is still capable of bending his knees); and the mould is poured (unfortunately, this picture didn't come out).

The finished casting. Image
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Do those pics remind anyone else of Freddy Kreuger's basement?

Nice work. What do you do with those castings when you finish?
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

I haven't forgotten that I said I would post some pictures, but I'm real busy with my job this time of year. Korto, maybe you could help me out a little though. I assume your furnaces are gas fired; what type of gas do you burn? I have an old forge furnace I got from a junk man and I rigged up an electric leaf blower to it but I am trying to figure out what kind of regulator I should have and whether to run it on Natural Gas or Propane. I'll post some pictures of it soon, but it's not my main project right now. The next thing I'm planning to do is build a wood flask to do some casting.
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Superman wrote:Nice work. What do you do with those castings when you finish?
I'm supposed to be trying to sell them. Except for that anvil thing I just made, which is decoration for a fence I'm supposed to be putting up.

Falkenhorst, the furnaces run on natural gas, but just because that's the gas supplied here. As far as I know, propane should work just fine. Propane apparently has 20% more energy, and a 1990C flame v LNG's 1790C (quick google search), so litre for litre presumably propane is better. If I were you, I would make the decision based on price, and what's convenient (particularly if one is on tap).

Should be posting a few more pieces in some days time. I'm going through all the stuff I've had lying around part-finished, and trying to finish them off.
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Here we go. I'm trying out the name "River plates" for these things, as when I make them I try to visualise water streaming around stones. Not too sure about the name. Then again, pick a name, stick to it, and sooner or later it'll sound just fine.
They're actually bracers, to go around the arm (or will be, once I attach a leather backing).
Image Image

Image Image

I'm considering the idea of making flat tiles the same way, and covering a small table with them.