Help me come up with an 80's mix CD for a friend!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Zaia wrote:Ok, so I have a lot of songs I want to put on this thing, so I'm thinking of doing two CDs. One for cheese/fun stuff, and one for new wave/rock/punk/other.

Cheese:
<snip list>
I found the 'cheesy' list actually contains the most iconic songs of the 80s (IMO). Those are:
1. 'You Spin Me Right Round' by Dead or Alive
2. 'Billie Jean' by Michael Jackson
4. 'Material Girl' by Madonna
6. 'Hungry Like The Wolf' by Duran Duran (or maybe Rio?)
7. 'Wake Me Up Before You Go Go' by Wham!
12. 'Take On Me' by a-Ha

I don't know if you still plan to change the list, but if that's the case, I guess the songs above should remain.

EDIT: I forgot something about Wham!: 'Careless Whisper', that is. As for Duran-Duran, IMO 'Hungry Like The Wolf' feels more 80-ish than Rio.

Zaia wrote: 20. ?
As for filling the slot number 20, I would suggest one of the followings:

(1) 'Karma Chameleon' by Culture Club.

(2) Either 'Sounds Like A Melody', 'Big In Japan', or 'Dance With Me' from Alphaville (Dunno', but I think 80's collection wouldn't be complete without either Alphaville or Pet Shop Boys).

(3) Either 'Opportunities' or 'Suburbia' by Pet Shop Boys.

(4) 'I Like Chopin' by Gazebo.

(5) 'Girls Just Wanna' Have Fun' by Cindy Lauper.

As for synth-pops like Jason Donovan, Kylie Minogue, or Rick Astley, you can left them out because they're more like "early 90s" than 80s (yes, even 'Locomotion'). Same goes for the likes of Bell Biv Devoe, Debbie Gibson, or Mili Vanili. I don't know how to say it but they just don't feel ('sound'?) like 80s.
Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2005-06-06 01:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

Glocksman wrote:I haven't seen 99 Red Balloons by Nena mentioned yet.
The original German version 99 Luftballons is far superior. ;)
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Just about anything by Pat Benatar and Cindy Lauper.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

My suggestion is save your self the bother is selecting and just buy The Wedding Singer OST.

Failing that if i must choose

Mr Mister - Broken Wings
Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Right Round
Blue Monday - New Order
A-Ha - Take On Me
Adam & the Ants - Prince Charming or Ant Music
J. Gelis Band - Centre Fold
Jefferson Starship - We Built This City
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
Blondie - Call Me or Atomic
Alice Cooper - Poison
Pat Benitar - Hit Me With Your Best Shot
Toto - Africa
Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time
David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes
Bananarama - Cruel Summer
Cars - Drive
Gary Numan - Are Friends Electric or Cars
Cutting Crew - Died In Your Arms
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

Lord Pounder wrote:My suggestion is save your self the bother is selecting and just buy The Wedding Singer OST.
Yeah, I have that CD, and it is really good, but I want it to be more personal than that. But thanks, DP. That soundtrack is a great 80's mix.

And oh yeah, Bananarama! I meant to put them on my list but forgot. Thanks again. :D
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I can't believe I forgot Bananarama AND the Pet Shop Boys... :oops:
Let me add some in compensation for my negligence
Bananarama-Venus and absolutely Robert De Niro's Waiting
PSB-Suburbia and West End Girls
Has Dexie's Midnight Runner's Come On Eileen been mentioned yet? If so, I apologize.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

*blinks* Robert....De Niro..?
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Zaia wrote:*blinks* Robert....De Niro..?
F...erdammt. 'Robert De Niro's Waiting' is the song title.
Sorry 'bout that.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

All I will say is that no 80s mix would be complete with out some music from the Top Gun soundtrack. :D
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Stormbringer wrote:All I will say is that no 80s mix would be complete with out some music from the Top Gun soundtrack. :D
Without is one word and
'Dangerzone' and 'Top Gun Anthem' :wink:
The 'Footlose' soundtrack comes to mind now we're talking about it.
The Morrigan
Jedi Knight
Location: Lost, somewhere within the realms of my own fevered imagination

Post by The Morrigan »

Mickey - Toni Basil
Cool For Cats - Squeeze (or did that one just dip out on the 80's :? )
Centerfold - J. Geils Band

I'd also add Don't Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin, but I seem to be one of the few people who can actually listen to this without wanting to hurl myself out of the nearest window Clockwork Orange stylee.
After all, this is completely straightforward. What could possibly go wrong?

THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR EMERGENCY PANTS!

I hate Matt Damon and there's not a damn thing you can do about it

No, I'm not on drugs. I'm like this all the time.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

The Morrigan wrote: I'd also add Don't Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin, but I seem to be one of the few people who can actually listen to this without wanting to hurl myself out of the nearest window Clockwork Orange stylee.
You'd be wrong.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

You must have "Africa", by Toto. Its so crap and terrible and cliched that it is the pinnacle of human achievement in the '80s.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

No Madness? Maybe more of a Brit thing.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Lord Pounder wrote:No Madness? Maybe more of a Brit thing.
It isn't.
Madness-'Our House' is definitely a must.
Pulse
Redshirt

Post by Pulse »

If it hasn't already been mentioned, how about some Tears for Fears, Talk Talk, The Smiths or The Stone Roses?

TFF: Mad World, Everybody Wants to rule the World, Mad World or Sowing the Seeds of Love

Talk Talk: Its my Life or Lifes What you make it.

The Smiths: How Soon is Now or Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.

The Stone Roses: Foo's Gold, Made of Stone, I Am The Ressurrection or She Bangs The Drums.
This space is open to any inquiries at the moment...
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

"Rockit" by Herbie Hancock. I think he also had a song used a lot in the Beverly Hills Cop movies.

Although it's just before the 80's, "Rapper's Delight" by the Sugar Hill Gang.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers